Americans support public transit. Only 1 in 4 households say there is currently adequate public transportation. According to a 2004 study by Wirthlin Worldwide:1
- 80 percent agree that more public transit would improve the economy.
- 76 percent support public funding of transit projects.
Safety Facts (from the National Safety Council):2
- You are 25 times less likely to die in a traffic accident when you ride public transit versus travel in a personal vehicle.
- Annually, personal vehicle accidents are responsible for:3
- 45,800 people killed
- 2.7 million injured.
Congestion Facts (from Texas A&M University):4
- Americans lose $63 billion per year in productivity sitting in traffic.
- If there was no public transit, delays would increase by 27 percent ($18 billion in lost productivity).
1 - Americans Support Public Transportation Growth and Investment, study conducted by Wirthlin Worldwide February 20-23, 2004.